Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A FINAL WORD... OR TWO


Through all the trials and tribulations, the up-and-comers and the upsets, and the longest tennis match ever played, the strawberries and cream rose to the top at Wimbledon. In the end, Rafa and Serena were the only two left standing (despite the above photo of them sitting together at the Champions Ball). They are unquestionably the King and Queen of Tennis. Congratulations, Mazel Tov, and Vamos!

**********

Matt Harvey, the official Poet-in-Residence for the 2010 Wimbledon Championships, did yeoman's work throughout the fortnight.  Read his wonderful Wimblewords here.

**********


Despite a valiant effort by Diego Forlan and Uruguay, the Netherlands booked their spot in the World Cup Final today with a 3-2 victory. Though it may seem a bit bandwagon now, I made the Dutch my second favorite squad (behind the good ol' US of A) going into the tournament. When one of my best friends and I toured Europe one summer, we referred to Amsterdam as "home," as in "I can't wait to go home." Thus, I felt completely justified in adopting a rooting interest in Holland. Now I will join Rafael Nadal in pulling for Spain to send Germany to the showers, making the Finals a Dutch-Spanish affair.

**********

Snoop, Soccer, and Star Wars join forces in this new David Beckham ad for Adidas. Look for cameos by my friend, Jay Baruchel, and my archenemy, Greedo.

No comments:

Post a Comment