Sunday, January 24, 2010

TENNIS IS MY BRACKET

I usually reserve the distinct prognosticating pleasure of filling out a bracket for March Madness, but for this year's Aussie Open I decided to throw caution to the Pacific winds and anticipate the results of the men's draw. (Full Disclosure: I waited until after the first round to etch my inklings in ink on the printout.) Nevertheless, a complete lack of major upsets allowed me to post a respectable 27-5 record in the second round. The most thrilling pick of the round had to be the Spaniard Albert Montanes (a ten-year tour pro) coming back from two sets down to vanquish the young Frenchman Stephane (Isn't that a girl's name) Robert, made all the more exhilarating by the fact that Montanes was 0-22 lifetime in five-setters.

I nearly nailed the third round, accurately forecasting 14 of the 16 winners, happily losing when Giant John Isner impressively dismissed La Monf and cursing the name Mikhail Youzhny when he literally failed to show up against the Polish player Lucasz (his "z" not mine) Kubot.

No comments:

Post a Comment