Friday, April 2, 2010

TENNIS IN THE TROPICS


On a cool and crisp Wednesday night on Key Biscayne, I watched Kim Clijsters take out Samantha Stosur before witnessing Rafael Nadal outslug Jo-Willy Tsonga.


Clijsters and Nadal have had different fates since then, with Clijsters winning a war against Justine Henin last night and Nadal suffering a three-set defeat to Andy Roddick just moments ago.  The all-Belgian women's semifinal was a roller coaster affair, with both players coming up with fantastic shots followed by unforced errors.  Roddick and Nadal played a much higher quality of tennis in their match, with Roddick surprisingly able to frustrate Nadal in the second and third sets.  To paraphrase Ma Kelly in "Johnny Dangerously"... Happy for Andy, sad for Rafael.


I'll be seeing Roddick in the finals on Sunday against the winner of the Robin Soderling-Thomas Berdych semi later on tonight.  Not exactly the marquee matchup I was looking for, but I'll take what I can get.


As you can see, the Crandon Park Tennis Center is a stunning setting for tennis.  I've been going to this tournament for a long time now, dating back to when it used to be called the Lipton.  I feel at home there. It was extra special this year, as it marked the first time I was able to attend back-to-back Masters 1000 events in Indian Wells and Key Biscayne.  Now if I can just find a way to get to Europe for the clay court season...

No comments:

Post a Comment